The Luxembourg Crémant
The success story of the Luxembourg Crémant started with the 1990 vintage when the Grand Duchy, as the first viticulture region outside France, received the rights to use this quality controlled designation.
The Crémant, a refined wine with a fine and delicate sparkling, is the fruit of hard work, all in line with a great tradition. The Crémant rounds up the range of quality wines within the region of the Luxembourg Moselle with style.
All wine-producers who wish to receive the rights to this famous label have to follow a strict charter:
· Only indigenous grapes are allowed (Rivaner and Gewürztraminer are excluded)
· The minimum density is set at 63 degrees Oechsle
· A wine-press register has to be kept, indicating the origin of the grapes, the number of kilos and their analytic data etc.
· At the pressing, out of 150kg of grapes, only the first 100 liters are allowed to be used for the basic wines
· All the basic wines that are part of the blending have to correspond to the criteria of quality wines.
· The second fermentation has to take place in the bottles (the traditional champenoise method) and the bottles have to lie stocked for at least nine months on yeast before the disgorging (taking out the remaining yeast)
· At the end of the process, the Crémants have to be under a pressure of four to six bars and their total SO2 potency may not exceed 150 mg/liter
· Finally, the Crémants can be presented to the tasting committee from the “Marque Nationale”, and it must obtain a minimum of 12 out of 20 points
Considering all this hard work, you may now understand why the Luxembourg wine-growers are so proud of their Crémant and why they have nicknamed it “the fruit of perfection”! Caves KRIER Frères offers a range of three different Crémants.
Caves Krier Frères Remich S.A.
1, Montée St Urbain
Boîte Postale 30
Tel.: (+352) 23 69 60-1
Fax: (+352) 23 69 60-60
Mobil: (+352) 621 311 231
Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00.